Hotel at a Glance: Ridgeway Inn
The scene outside Ridgeway Inn wouldn’t look out of place on a postcard. Rose gardens surround the upscale hotel, and the Blue Ridge Mountains serve as backdrop. Golden cedar shingles cover the outside of the inn, and you’ll find handsome wood accents in the individually decorated rooms, too.
- Complimentary continental breakfast served each morning
- Within walking distance: downtown Blowing Rock’s many restaurants, boutiques, and art galleries
- Go swimming in the seasonal outdoor pool at the Blowing Rock Parks and Recreation facility.
- Explore the outdoors: Hike or bike nearby trails or take a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway to marvel at Appalachian scenery.
- Other perks: an afternoon wine and cheese reception and gourmet coffees and teas served throughout the day
Blowing Rock, North Carolina: Scenic Hikes and Skiing in the Blue Ridge Mountains
Blowing Rock is located on the edge of the 500,000-acre Pisgah National Forest in northeastern North Carolina. The town, named for a rock formation, is a home base for outdoor recreation in the Blue Ridge Mountains—especially hiking, whitewater rafting, fly-fishing, and horseback riding. Moses H. Cone Memorial Park, a historic estate on 3,600 acres of forests and meadows, has 26 miles of carriage roads designated for walking and horseback riding. To see the sights from a car, head to the Blue Ridge Parkway, a scenic motorway through the Appalachians.
Aside from the parkway, there’s plenty to do year-round here, from whitewater rafting and fly-fishing in the summer to cross-country and downhill skiing in the cooler months. About 25 miles northwest of Blowing Rock is Beech Mountain Resort, a popular ski spot with 15 trails for all skill levels. According to Fodor’s, it’s the highest ski area in the eastern United States, at 5,500 feet above sea level.
Back in town, Blowing Rock’s Main Street is lined with antique shops, boutiques, and upscale bistros. Bargain hunters might want to stop by Tanger Outlets, home to Banana Republic, Loft, and Polo Ralph Lauren outlet stores.