Hotel at a Glance: Riverwalk Inn & Cafe
The Riverwalk Inn & Cafe, with its swinging, hand-painted sign hanging on the exterior, resembles an old-fashioned farm house. It's set in historic downtown Chelan against a postcard-worthy backdrop near Lake Chelan and the surrounding foothills. There are personal touches all throughout the inn, including rooms named after the flowers and herbs grown on the property.
- Take a stroll: The Chelan River and Riverwalk Park are just a scenic walk away from the inn.
- Seasonal breakfast items include the inn's signature eggs Florentine, hand made bagels, nitrate-free bacon, and herbs that are grown on-site. Sip freshly squeezed OJ or indulge in a mimosa.
- Riverwalk Cafe: Local artwork trims this inviting dining room, where guests nosh on ice cream and sip local wines. Gluten-free entrees are available, too. The restaurant reopens April 18 for Friday through Sunday service.
- Friendly owners: There are only about a dozen rooms, which lets the innkeepers give guests individualized attention—they'll even pack your breakfast to go if you want them to.
- Venture out: The friendly staff can help arrange boat rides and wine tours, or give you tips for other fun activities downtown.
Chelan, Washington: Lakefront Community in the Foothills of the Cascade Range
Chelan lies in the shadow of the Cascade Range in northern Washington, right on the banks of Lake Chelan. The 55-mile-long, glacier-fed lake is a popular spot for boating and jet skiing in the summertime. It’s also a fisherman’s paradise—Lake Chelan has a renowned fish-stocking program that releases hundreds of thousands of chinook salmon, lake trout, and kokanee into the chilly waters each year.
The Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, located a few miles west of Chelan, provides ample opportunities to explore the great outdoors on hundreds of miles of hiking and mountain-biking trails. In the winter, cross-country skiers flock to nearby Echo Ridge for 25 miles of trails, and snowmobilers and downhill skiers take to the powder at Echo Valley.
Chelan's small downtown area encompasses local boutiques, gift shops, bookstores, and homey pubs that serve wines from emerging local wineries. For a closer look at the vineyards, visit some of the area’s nearly two dozen wineries for tastings and tours.