Hotel at a Glance: Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Rocky Gap Casino Resort is situated on the banks of Lake Habeeb in the center of Maryland’s Rocky Gap State Park. The AAA Four Diamond property offers many luxe amenities—including four restaurants and a casino—all surrounded by 3,000 acres of unspoiled wilderness.
- 24-hour casino with more than 600 slot machines, plus poker, blackjack, and roulette tables
- Room with a view: Spacious guest rooms and suites overlook either the mountains or the Jack Nicklaus–designed golf course.
- Dining options include the buffet-style Lakeside Restaurant, LB’s Place for casual dining, and Signatures Bar & Grill.
- Take a dip in the indoor pool or whirlpool, or head to the newly renovated spa for relaxing massages and facials.
- Casino credit offer one guest will receive $20 in slot-machine credit for the casino if they are new members signing up for the casino’s rewards club with purchase (only redeemable by purchaser of Groupon). Sign up is free.
Cumberland, Maryland: Historic Downtown Close to Rocky Gap State Park
Cumberland was once Maryland’s second-largest city, supplying iron ore, coal, and timber from its hillsides to other cities during the Industrial Revolution. Though the population is smaller today, Cumberland retains its old-fashioned charm. The picturesque downtown area includes the Washington Street Historic District, where many buildings and homes from the salad days still stand. Check out the Emmanuel Episcopal Church and the Allegany County Courthouse to see some of Maryland’s best examples of early Gothic Revival architecture.
The town is a quick drive from Rocky Gap State Park, home to 3,000 acres of rugged wilderness. You’ll find miles of trails, as well as the 243-acre Lake Habeeb, a popular place to catch trout, catfish, or smallmouth bass. There’s also a mile-long gorge with sheer cliffs and a dense hemlock forest to explore.