Hotel at a Glance: Royal Regency Hotel
Recently remodeled, the Royal Regency Hotel has a boutique-hotel feel and is just 3 miles from the downtown waterfront. The free WiFi and business center make it easy to work, while the lounge’s salsa nights, live music, and comedy shows make it easy to play.
- Enjoy dinner or lunch with the optional $25 dining credit at Venue, which serves pasta, seafood, and burgers as well as cocktails.
- Where you’ll stay: Guest rooms come with WiFi access.
- Stay in shape with a visit to the fitness center, which is equipped with cardio machines, bikes, and free weights.
- Admire art or learn about the stars at the Hudson River Museum, where you’ll find rotating art exhibits and planetarium presentations.
- Start your day with a complimentary continental breakfast.
Yonkers, New York: Culture and Relaxation in a City with Revolutionary Roots
It was founded in 1646, so Yonkers has had a long time to grow into New York’s fourth-largest city. Just 2 miles north of Manhattan, situated right next to the Bronx, Yonkers has abundant green spaces and suburban pace of life, providing a stark contrast to the Big Apple. A stroll through the city streets shows that Yonkers knows how to look forward while still honoring its past.
Architectural gem Philipse Manor Hall went from the home of Revolutionary Loyalists to city to a museum dedicated to art and history. Just a 5-minute walk away, The Science Barge looks to the future: it’s a completely green, self-sustaining urban garden set atop a barge that floats along the Hudson. If you walk another mile north along the river, you’ll find the Hudson River Museum, which combines the two with its rotating art exhibits that include everything from historic illustrations to multimedia installations. It also has its own planetarium with programming that explores our solar system and beyond.
Outside, 161-acre Tibbetts Brook Park acts as Yonkers’s recreational centerpiece. Its massive aquatic center features a kids’ spray playground, in-pool basketball and volleyball courts, lap lanes, and a lazy river. In another section of the park, an 18-hole mini-golf course provides families with an afternoon of fun.