Hotel at a Glance: Sands Harbor Resort and Marina
Located on a stretch of the Intracoastal Waterway, Sands Harbor Resort and Marina offers easy access to Pompano Beach’s ample watersports. Pick up a new lure at the bait-and-tackle shop before heading out on a fishing charter, or zip through the Atlantic on a rented jet ski or boat. You can also dine on the waterfront at one of two onsite restaurants while watching boats sail by. Dance to live music and snack on blackened-fish sandwiches and chicken wings at the Patio Bar & Grill, or head to Sunset Catch for fresh seafood and steaks.
- Relax poolside with an ice-cold drink from the patio bar.
- Explore coral reefs and shipwrecks with scuba-diving and snorkeling excursions.
- Spacious rooms feature private balconies with waterfront views and privacy screens.
- Go boogie boarding at the beach, located just steps from the hotel.
- Test your luck at the Isles Casino’s 1,500 slot machines and 38 poker tables, located just 4 miles away.
Pompano Beach, Florida: Family-Friendly Beach Town with Reef and Wreck Diving
According to local legend, Pompano Beach was named after a modest dinner. The story goes that one of its founders settled on the name after enjoying a meal of pompano fish, which is native to the area. The tasty namesake helped establish this stretch of Florida’s Gold Coast as a sportfishing hub—the area is home to the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo, a popular fishing tournament—but it’s not the main draw. That title goes to the city’s miles-long stretch of beaches and the Atlantic waves that lap the shore, which are some of the coast’s warmest thanks to a bend in the Gulf Stream. The temperate waters are ideal for such activities as snorkeling and scuba-diving, thanks to colorful coral-reef tracts and dozens of submerged shipwrecks.