Hotel at a Glance: Sands Harbor Resort and Marina
Located on a stretch of the Intracoastal Waterway, Sands Harbor Resort and Marina offers onsite access to Pompano Beach’s ample watersports opportunities from a full-service marina. Pick up a new lure at the bait-and-tackle shop before heading out on a fishing charter, or zip through the Atlantic on a rented jet ski or boat. This getaway comes with a $10 credit toward a jet-ski or boat rental, scuba diving, or fishing charter excursion. When hunger strikes, dine on the waterfront at one of three onsite restaurants while watching boats sail by.
- Spacious standard rooms feature private balconies offering views of the water.
- Relax poolside while enjoying a cold drink from the patio bar.
- Explore coral reefs and shipwrecks with scuba-diving and snorkeling excursions.
- Go boogie boarding at the beach, just steps from the hotel.
- Dance to live music Wednesday through Sunday and snack on blackened fish sandwiches and chicken wings at the Patio Bar & Grill.
Pompano Beach, Florida: Family-Friendly Beach Town with Reef and Wreck Diving
According to local legend, Pompano Beach was named after a modest dinner. The story goes that one of the town’s founders came up with the moniker after enjoying a meal of pompano fish, which is native to the area. The tasty namesake helped establish this stretch of Florida’s Gold Coast as a sportfishing hub—the area is home to a popular tournament called the Pompano Beach Fishing Rodeo.
It’s not the area’s main draw, though. That distinction goes to the city’s miles-long stretch of beach, where you’ll find some of the Atlantic coast’s warmest waters, courtesy of a bend in the Gulf Stream. This makes for ideal snorkeling and scuba-diving conditions; swim below the surface to see colorful coral-reef tracts and dozens of submerged shipwrecks.