Hotel at a Glance: Secrets Inn
Secrets Inn immerses couples in a romantic, distraction-free zone set against the serene backdrop of South Lake Tahoe. Chateau-style rooms are outfitted with fireplaces, jet tubs, and walk-in glass showers for two. There’s plenty to do just outside the hotel, too; the surrounding area brims with outdoor activities and shopping opportunities.
- Optional romance package: includes a bottle of wine or chocolate strawberry ice cream for two, and a welcome basket.
- 180-degree views: Take a stroll to the Heavenly Gondola ski lift and ride it to the top of the resort, where you can take in sweeping views and plan hiking routes. Skiing at Heavenly starts in December and is hugely popular.
- Explore the outdoors: Go fishing or kayaking on the water, or rent a bicycle from a shop just one block from the Inn.
- Try your luck at several casinos within walking distance, including MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa, a frequent stop for performers like Huey Lewis and Patty LaBelle.
- Listen up: Upon your arrival, Secrets Inn supplies an audio CD that describes all the sights and activities nearby.
South Lake Tahoe, California: Year-Round Haven for Outdoor Adventures and Late-Night Revelry
Lake Tahoe has no real off-season; people find ways to make use of its pristine water, beaches, and mountains all year long. In the summer, the lake’s clear, freshwater surface—which straddles the California-Nevada border—is dotted with swimmers, boaters, and jet skiers. Several ski resorts with world-class slopes typically stay open from November to April, and Emerald Bay State Park is accessible year-round. A moderately easy hike to the base of Lower Eagle Falls reveals breathtaking views of the waterfalls crashing down from above.
A diverse crowd of spectators gathers at night for South Lake Tahoe’s various events, which range from wine and food festivals to rock concerts and fireworks displays. A few miles northwest of South Lake Tahoe sits Stateline, Nevada, where a handful of casinos host high-stakes games of blackjack and Crazy Eights.