Hotel at a Glance: Shorebreak Hotel
At Shorebreak Hotel, portraits of surfers hang on the walls, dogs stroll along the hardwood floor, and an abstract mural of wetsuits dominates an entire wall. It's no surprise that the ocean inspires much of the decor at Shorebreak, called a "surfer's haven" by Fodor's. Just steps from the hotel, Huntington Beach beckons surfers to tackle the Pacific Ocean's most gnarly waves.
- Zimzala restaurant: Executive Chef Roy Hendrickson crafts American entrees such as baby back ribs and pan-seared diver scallops at the onsite restaurant.
- Bring Fido along: The hotel allows dogs to stay at no additional charge.
- Après-surf drinks: Enjoy complimentary wine Monday–Thursday from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- In-room amenities: iPod docking stations, flat-screen TVs, and balconies with views
- Grill master: Head to "The Deck" to barbecue on one of the hotel's three fire pits.
- Eco-friendly: Housekeepers use only eco-friendly products to clean the linens and rooms.
Huntington Beach, California: Surf Town along the Orange Coast
The host of the annual US Open of Surfing, Huntington Beach proudly bears the nickname of Surf City, USA. Just past the shoreline, surfers paddle out into the Pacific Ocean. Back on the sand, volleyballs soar over nets. As the sun sets, bonfires crackle within concrete rings.
The International Surfing Museum explores the sport's history and legacy. Along the nearby 1-mile stretch of coast known as Dog Beach, pooches can frolic in the surf sans leash and dig for buried treasures of solid-gold tennis balls.