Hotel at a Glance: Skylark Shores Resort
Skylark Shores Resort is set directly along Clear Lake and features views of Mt. Konocti in the distance. A tranquil, nature-focused resort, Skylark Shores features plenty of amenities for boating and fishing as well as picnic tables set under leafy trees.
- Angle for bass off the hotel's private fishing pier. There's also a cleaning area for prepping your catch.
- Room with a view: Each spacious guest unit overlooks the lake, lawn, or pool.
- Launch your boat from one of three onsite docks.
- Make a splash in the outdoor pool.
- Outdoor fun: Walk along the lake, have a picnic on the property, or visit one of several nearby vineyards.
Lakeport, California: Clear Lake and Wineries
Sometimes called the "Bass Capital of the West," Lakeport is home to Clear Lake, one of the largest (and oldest) natural bodies of water in California. More than 100 miles of shoreline draw year-round visitors to this scenic area; they come to boat, swim, waterski, and, especially, fish. Largemouth bass, catfish, bluegill, and rainbow trout all can be caught here.
On land, hiking and biking trails abound, and there are more than 300 species of birds to spot along the way. Keep an eye out for bald eagles, giant salamanders, and river otters, too. The many wineries surrounding Lakeport are also worth checking out—the 23,000-acre Langtry Estate Vineyards is particularly nice. It offers daily tastings and tours.