Property at a Glance: Snowcreek Resort
These luxurious condos are set on 450 acres near the edge of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, amid towering pine trees and views of nearby peaks. Each unit has a full kitchen and some can accommodate up to six guests.
- Warm-weather activities include fishing and hiking.
- Tee off: Guests get discounted greens fees at the Snowcreek Golf Course.
- Make a splash in the indoor and outdoor pools at Snowcreek Athletic Club. This 30,000-square-foot complex also has tennis courts and yoga classes.
- Teriyaki-glazed salmon and house-made ribs are among the hearty eats served at The Bistro at the athletic club.
- Recent award: TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence in 2013
Mammoth Lakes, California: Hot Springs and Hiking in the Sierra Nevada
Mammoth Lakes is a quiet California town high up in the Sierra Nevada mountains southeast of Yosemite National Park. It’s the main gateway to Mammoth Mountain resort, which is just a 10-minute drive from the center of town. The resort is home to the highest golf course in California and Mammoth Mountain Bike Park, which Outside magazine named the best bike park in the United States
Though Mammoth Lakes is a natural playground for skiers and snowboarders, it’s a popular destination for fishing and hiking in warmer months. Convict Lake, which got its name after a sheriff captured a group of escaped inmates here in 1871, is well known for its stunning mountain vistas and abundance of rainbow trout. The lake is encircled by an easy 3-mile hiking path that reveals the mountains from all perspectives.
The area’s geothermal activity supports a number of natural hot springs, which are great places to unwind after a day of exploring the wilderness. When hunger strikes, head to downtown Mammoth Lakes to find casual bistros and bars pouring West Coast brews.