Hotel at a Glance: Sonesta Silicon Valley
Located just outside San Jose, the Sonesta Silicon Valley is within a 20-minute drive of offices for tech giants like Apple and Google. But there’s also plenty for travelers who are here for vacation, not business. The hotel is within 15 minutes of the roller coasters and water park at California’s Great America and the more than 200 stores at Great Mall.
- Free WiFi in every guest room
- Best place to catch some sun: the deck surrounding the heated outdoor pool
- California wines complement Black Angus steaks and housemade veggie burgers at the onsite Brandon’s Restaurant & Bar.
- Open 24 hours: a fitness center with cardio equipment and free weights
- Free ride: The Sonesta’s shuttle travels to the airport and attractions within a 5-mile radius.
San Jose, California: Silicon Valley City near Wine Country
San Jose lies in Silicon Valley, less than 60 miles from San Francisco. It’s neighbored by Mountain View and Palo Alto, where tech giants such as Apple, Google, and Intel have their headquarters. You can learn all about the region’s rise as a computer-industry powerhouse with a visit to the Tech Museum of Innovation, or see the results of the area’s affluence in its many fine-dining restaurants, shops, and cultural offerings. A thriving arts scene is anchored by institutions such as the San Jose Museum of Art and Symphony Silicon Valley.
For a taste of pre-microchip San Jose, check out the Winchester Mystery House, a purportedly haunted mansion filled with as many architectural oddities as spirits. Outside of town, the jagged Santa Cruz Mountains and rolling valleys have rich soils for growing grapes—conditions that have led to the establishment of more than 30 wineries producing pinot noir, syrah, and zinfandel.