Hotel at a Glance: Sonoran Suites of Palm Springs
Sonoran Suites is a little community of privately owned vacation condos located just outside the famed desert retreat of Palm Springs. Each unit has separate areas for living, dining, and sleeping, so there's plenty of room to spread out.
- Distance to downtown Palm Springs: 13 miles
- Upscale amenities: granite countertops, fully equipped kitchens with stainless-steel appliances, and private balconies or patios
- Sun and fun: large outdoor pool, whirlpool, sun deck, gazebos, and gas grills
- Tee off: Nearly 30 award-winning golf courses are in the vicinity.
- Day-trip ideas: Cathedral City (7 miles away), Desert Hot Springs (20 miles), and Rancho Mirage (4 miles)
Highlights of Palm Springs
- Desert modernism: In the middle of the 20th century, Palm Springs was a favorite retreat for Hollywood royalty. Around the same time, architects inspired by the landscape created the desert modernism movement here. You can explore the midcentury-modern landmarks on a guided tour or on your own; grab a map at the Palm Springs Official Visitors Center, which is itself housed within an iconic building—the retro-futuristic Tramway Gas Station designed by Albert Frey.
- Palm Canyon Drive: To get the Palm Springs look, peruse the furniture and fashion boutiques along this ritzy thoroughfare—the city's main drag.
- Palm Springs Art Museum: A small but impressively curated collection includes works by Picasso and Rauschenberg as well as contemporary and Native American artists.