Family-friendly resort overlooking Sandusky Bay; features a private beach, three heated seasonal pools, sporting courts, and an onsite spa
Hotel at a Glance: South Beach Resort
Overlooking Sandusky Bay—and just 20 minutes from Sandusky—the South Beach Resort offers beachside accommodations close to Cedar Point, Put-in-Bay, and Lake Erie islands. Bring your boat to the onsite marina, or just enjoy the resort’s seasonal heated pools and private beach.
- Kick back with a soak in your room’s jetted tub.
- Hot-stone massages and aromatherapy facials are available at the onsite spa.
- Friendly competition: Tennis, volleyball, and shuffleboard courts provide more daytime options.
- Additional perks: Select options of this Getaway come with water-park passes for two to Monsoon Lagoon Watering Hole Safari & Waterpark per stay.
- Direct beach access: From this hotel’s doors, it’s only a short trek to its private beach.
- Make a splash in one of the hotel’s heated outdoor pools. There are three of them.
Sandusky, Ohio: Family-Friendly Town with Amusement Parks Along Lake Erie
The town of Sandusky lies on the shores of Lake Erie, about midway between Cleveland and Toledo. It’s a family-friendly destination with a slew of theme parks and scenic coastal islands. Cedar Point, open May through October, is one of the oldest amusement parks in the United States and a must-do for thrill seekers. The park’s Millennium Force roller coaster set records as the tallest and fastest in the world when it was introduced in 2000. More recently, the GateKeeper scooped up seven world records when it opened in 2013, including the “longest drop on a wing coaster.”
If you prefer a slower pace, visit Sandusky’s former post office, which has been transformed into the Merry-Go-Round Museum. The grand building is full of antique carousels of all shapes and sizes, restored to their original splendor; it’s also rumored to house a couple of ghosts. More spooky fun awaits at Ghostly Manor Thrill Center, which features a haunted house, a roller rink, a 4D theater, black-light mini golf, and bounce houses.