Hotel at a Glance: Spirit Ridge Vineyard Resort & Spa
Nestled in Canada’s only desert, the 4-star Spirit Ridge Vineyard Resort & Spa offers its guests a vacation that blends both cultural and recreational activities, all amid a wealth of luxurious amenities. Here, you can work on your tan at the private beach at nearby Osoyoos Lake, or go for a swim at the outdoor pool, which is outfitted with a hot tub and water slide. For a taste of the region’s best-known drink, just walk down the street to the Nk’Mip Cellars Winery to sample award-winning wines and tour the winery.
- Rooms with a view: Guest rooms offer views of mountains, the pool, or sprawling vineyards from a furnished balcony or patio. Each suite also includes a full gourmet kitchen and dining area.
- Grab a bite at Talon’s Restaurant, which serves up pan-seared wild British Columbia salmon and braised short ribs made with local ingredients. It also hosts live music and features a full-service bar.
- Get a massage or body wrap at the onsite Solterra Desert Spa.
- Tee off at the onsite Sonora Dunes Golf Course.
- Water sports: The lake offers ample opportunity for wakeboarding, paddleboarding, and jet-skiing, all available through nearby tour companies.
- Notable accolades This hotel won a Tripadvisor 2014 Certificate of Excellence.
Osoyoos, British Columbia: Wineries, and Aboriginal Culture in Canada’s Only Desert
Osoyoos sits at the southern end of Okanagan Valley, a 110-mile stretch featuring deserts, lakes, mountains, and vineyards. The varied terrain lends to numerous possibilities for outdoor activities. Many travelers fish and go boating at Osoyoos Lake; the desert heat in Okanagan Valley can heat the water to a balmy 75 degrees Fahrenheit during warmer months, drawing visitors and locals to its miles of sandy beaches.
Osoyoos is home to the Osoyoos Indian Band, which operates one of North America’s first aboriginal-owned wineries. Adjacent to the vineyard, the same indigenous group also founded the Nk’Mip Desert Cultural Centre, which details the history of the area with indoor and outdoor galleries and daily trail walks.