Hotel at a Glance: StarLux Boutique Hotel
Located just steps from the Atlantic Ocean, the StarLux Boutique Hotel is a stylishly retro property with mid-century modern furnishings, lava lamps, and colorful accents in guest rooms as well as common areas. You can even stay in a vintage Airstream trailer equipped with a small patio. With the beach, boardwalk, and kid-friendly carnival amusements at Morey's Piers & Beachfront Waterparks all within walking distance, there's no shortage of all-American entertainment options in the area.
- Entertainment amenities: free WiFi and access to a DVD library
- Bike the boardwalk with complimentary beach cruisers.
- Aquatic offerings: outdoor heated pool, opening May 1st, and year-round hot tub
- Hit the beach: It's just steps from the hotel.
- Carnival excitement: Morey's Piers was dubbed "the real star of the Wildwood Boardwalk" by USA Today.
The Wildwoods, NJ: Classic Boardwalk Fun and Doo-Wop History
Less than an hour south of Atlantic City, you'll find the Wildwoods, a cluster of towns set on a barrier island just off New Jersey's southernmost point. Though the area is more subdued than Atlantic City, families will still find a dizzying assortment of carnival rides, funnel cakes, malt shops, and arcade games along the Wildwoods Boardwalk.
During the 1950s and '60s, the area became a hotspot for up-and-coming rock and doo wop singers, including Chubby Checker, Bill Haley, and Bobby Rydell, who immortalized the city's carefree spirit in the tune "Wildwood Days." You can learn more about the era at the Doo Wop Experience and Neon Sign Garden, which pays homage to mid-20th-century music, decor, and advertising.