Mountain Lodge in Wooded Enclave
Two preserved maples stand at the entrance to Stowehof Inn & Resort in northern Vermont. Transferred from the woodlands of the surrounding Green Mountains, the trees have been integrated into the inn's structure, creating a sense of outside blending into inside. That sensibility permeates the place, attracting outdoor enthusiasts who revel in the rolling topography before retiring to well-appointed guest rooms. It’s the kind of setting that draws visitors back for repeat visits—a quality that earned the inn a spot on Travel + Leisure’s list of hotels with “die-hard family followings.” The resort is also just 5 miles from Stowe Mountain Resort, where visitors can ski or snowboard down more than 100 snowy trails in the winter, or hike along Mount Mansfield in the summer.
Stowehof's in-house restaurant Coslin's Pub serves upscale contemporary fare in an elegant dining room with a wall of windows showcasing the property. This Groupon includes a daily breakfast and a $40 gift certificate to the restaurant, where you can enjoy pan-fried wiener schnitzel, wild mushroom risotto, or atlantic salmon in a white wine sauce.
Dark woods, a gabled rooftop, and carved balconies imbue Stowehof Inn & Resort with the feel of an alpine chalet. The vast communal living room is dotted with peaceful nooks for reading books from the substantial library or playing a board game. Floor-to-ceiling windows overlook the resort's small pond and Mount Mansfield—one of Vermont’s tallest peaks.
Highlights of Stowe, Vermont
- Scenic setting: The quaint town of Stowe is nestled in northern Vermont's quiet countryside, where 22 feet of snow cover the rolling hills over the course of the typical winter.
- Scenic drives: A statewide ban on billboards ensures unobstructed views of the Green Mountains along the roadways.
- Summer and fall activities: At Stowe Mountain Resort in the summer, you can hike along Mt. Mansfield or take a tennis lesson. In the autumn, the resort uses its gondola skyride to soar over the region's famous foliage.
- Recommended trail: Follow the Stowe Recreation Path along the sparkling West Branch River.
- Ben & Jerry's About 12 miles south of Stowe in Waterbury, the Ben & Jerry's ice-cream factory offers samples of the flavor of the day at the conclusion of its factory tour.