Property at a Glance: The Abbey Resort
The Abbey Resort is situated on a scenic 90-acre plot on Geneva Lake’s western shores. Here, guests are in good company: the resort has welcomed Presidents Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, and George H. W. Bush, as well as Michael Jordan, Oprah Winfrey, and Carrie Underwood. The luxury resort keeps guests coming back with easy access to lake cruises, fishing trips, and the historical mansions in downtown Lake Geneva.
- Dining options: There are several onsite restaurants, including 240° West, the Waterfront Restaurant, and Café Latte.
- Recently renovated guest rooms come with beamed or vaulted ceilings, high-definition flat-screen TVs, and patios or balconies.
- Unwind: The onsite Avani Spa offers massages, facials, body wraps, and aromatherapy.
- Family-friendly: The resort features a children’s arcade, scheduled family activities, and onsite childcare.
- Aye, aye, Captain: Rent a boat at the onsite Gordy’s Marine.
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin: Lakeside Mansions and Historical Museums
Located within 90 miles of Chicago, Milwaukee, and Madison, Lake Geneva has become one of the Midwest’s most popular destinations for recreation. In the fall, outdoor activities range from golfing at Abbey Springs to fireside s’mores with hot cider on the Harbor Patio. You can also admire the scenery by taking a stroll through the Geneva Lake Shore Path. This 21-mile walkway planned by early settlers stretches around the entire lake and offers views of historic sites and multimillion-dollar mansions, which helped the town earn the nickname “Newport of the West.”
On chillier days, there’s plenty to do indoors. The Geneva Lake Museum takes visitors back in time with re-created late 19th- and early 20th-century shops, and the 1897-era Yerkes Observatory is home to the world’s largest refracting telescope.