Hotel at a Glance: The Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
In 2004, a massive restoration project of the Asbury Park boardwalk brought back crowds to shop for fine art and dine in the ocean breeze. In keeping with the spirit of renewal, the boutique Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel underwent restoration. The red-bricked, Victorian-style hotel, which has been around more than a century, now blends charming 1920s flourishes and panoramic ocean views with modern comforts.
- Where you’ll stay: Guest rooms have marble bathrooms, 32-inch flat-screen TVs, iPod docking stations, and daily WiFi (included in this deal).
- Roaring ’20s atmosphere: carved ceilings and walls, large doorway arches, and grand staircases.
- Walking distance to: bars, the Asbury Park Boardwalk, and the Stone Pony, Asbury Park’s world-famous menu venue, where Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi got their start.
- An outdoor tiki bar serves drinks to guests lounging by the pool, Fridays and Saturdays. You can also lounge in a poolside private cabana.
- Head to the ocean: Your stay includes daily passes to the beach.
- Onsite dining: The Berkeley Bar & Grill pairs sandwiches and other casual cuisine with cocktails; open Fridays and Saturdays.
Asbury Park, New Jersey: Beachfront Boardwalk Scene with Eclectic Art and Shopping
Right smack between New York City and Philadelphia, Asbury Park exudes an inescapable air of nostalgia: the beachfront boardwalk is often the epicenter of activity here, where locals and visitors stroll the slats to watch ships pass and blue sky suspended over the sea. Outdoor concerts, live theater, fireworks, and bonfires liven up the beach year-round, and a vibrant arts scene has helped vitalize the downtown area, which is marked by several fine-art galleries, antique markets, and a tiny independent movie theater.
During his ascendancy in the 1970s, Bruce Springsteen and his band were fixtures at Asbury Park’s music clubs, and the legendary rocker still stops by to join impromptu jams. These storied venues are just short walk from the Berkeley Hotel, as is the Convention Hall, which packs in audiences to see today’s headlining music stars.