Relax by the waves or take a dip in the pool at this beach-side resort in the New Jersey Wildwoods within walking distance of the boardwalk
Hotel at a Glance: The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort
With ocean-facing balconies and expansive outdoor pools for adults and kids, guests at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort can enjoy the beach-side luxuries of a coastal family vacation. Using the resort’s recreation services, guests can rent bikes to explore the coast and stroll down the famed Wildwoods boardwalk. Or they can spend their days relaxing on one of the resort’s royal blue poolside chairs, which are ideal for soaking up the sun with the sound of the waves behind them.
- Grab a seaside bite at the on-site Crusader restaurant.
- Play a game of shuffleboard, swing a few rounds of ping pong, or score some points in billiards at the on-site rec center.
- Cruise along the beach with a rental bike available at the hotel.
- Take a dip in the heated, Olympic-size swimming pool.
- Browse the shops along the Wildwoods and stroll along the boardwalk.
The Wildwoods, New Jersey: Classic Boardwalk Fun and Doo-Wop-Era History
Less than an hour south of Atlantic City, you’ll find the Wildwoods, a cluster of towns set on a barrier island just off New Jersey’s southernmost point. Though the area is more subdued than Atlantic City, families will still find a dizzying assortment of carnival rides, malt shops, and arcade games along the Wildwoods Boardwalk.
During the 1950s and ’60s, the area became a hot spot for up-and-coming rock and doo-wop singers, including Chubby Checker, Bill Haley, and Bobby Rydell, who immortalized the city’s carefree spirit in the tune “Wildwood Days.” You can learn more about the era at the Doo Wop Experience and Neon Sign Garden, which pays homage to mid-20th-century music, decor, and advertising.