Hotel at a Glance: The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel’s lobby strives to make a grand impression, featuring a massive stained-glass dome in the ceiling and chic marble floors. The luxurious decor extends into the guest rooms, where floor-to-ceiling windows let in tons of natural light and marble bathrooms have large soaking tubs. Those that opt to stay in a Villa will also get a fully equipped kitchen, fireplace, and lush patio.
- Wake up call: Enjoy a hearty breakfast buffet every morning to start your day right.
- Go for a swim in the outdoor heated pool.
- Explore the area with complimentary SUV transportation within a 3-mile radius; subject to availability.
- Unwind with a beer or cocktail at the nightly happy hour in the lounge.
- Shop ‘til you drop at the Stanford Shopping Center or at the nearby Santana Row, an upscale outdoor shopping mall. Both locations are situated just 15-20 minutes from the hotel.
Greater San José, California: Silicon Valley’s Largest City near Wine Country
Sunnyvale is located in between Palo Alto and San José, and its neighboring cities collectively host the headquarters of Silicon Valley’s most-prominent businesses, including Apple, Google, and Intel. The influx of money from the tech sector has attracted fine-dining restaurants, shops, and a thriving arts scene. Nearby Mountain View is home to the spectacular Shoreline Amphitheatre, which hosts outdoor shows year-round. In San José, you’ll find a renowned contemporary art collection at the San José Museum of Art, as well as venues for the symphony, opera, and ballet.
Microchips haven’t completely taken over the farmland around San José, though. The jagged Santa Cruz Mountains and rolling valleys have rich soils for growing grapes. Silicon Valley’s wine country—also known as the Santa Clara Valley—has more than 20 wineries that produce pinot noir, syrah, and zinfandel. There’s also a wide selection of golf courses that you can enjoy year-round thanks to the area’s Mediterranean-like weather.