Hotel at a Glance: The Grey Gull
The Grey Gull is full of homey comforts, and with a prime location just minutes from the beach, visitors can settle in for a charming West Coast vacation. The outdoor hot tub lets you take a dip without leaving the hotel, and the indoor dry cedar sauna can help you relax. Clam diggers can rinse their hauls off at the onsite clam-washing station, and the communal barbecue area is the perfect spot to cook them up or flip burgers with friends.
- Enjoy the view of the pool, grassy backyard, or ocean from your suite’s private porch or balcony.
- Relax in the Fireside Room: It’s equipped with a fireplace, high-definition TV, DVD collection, and board games.
- Full kitchens in suites feature refrigerators, ovens, stovetops, microwaves, cookware, and tableware.
- Within walking distance: Sharky’s gift shop, recommended by Roadside America for its memorable shark’s-mouth entrance.
- Winter activity: Ocean Shores is known for its spectacular storm watching in the winter.
Ocean Shores, Washington: Lengthy Beaches and Links-Style Golf
In July and December, high tides bring natural drama to Point Brown peninsula, the skinny landmass in coastal Washington that’s home to the city of Ocean Shores. At those times of year, waves up to 12 feet high pound the coast with a deafening roar. During the tides, spectators gather to see strong winds whip the sea into a frenzy.
But most of the time, this seaside resort town is calm. At Ocean Shores Golf Course, the only furor you’re likely to see is from players who lose golf balls in the thick rough of the links-style back nine. And with some 30 miles of beaches—some of them reachable only on foot—Ocean Shores offers plenty of quiet spots to relax and soak up the gorgeous Pacific Northwest scenery.