Hotel at a Glance: The Hotel Bristol
Since its opening in 1948, The Hotel Bristol has grown right along with Steamboat Springs as the town emerged as a skiing destination. Though renovations have brought modern updates to the property, reminders of history remain. Guest rooms feature old-fashioned telephones, and photos dating back to the 1920s are hung on the walls.
- Kick back: Guest rooms have rain showerheads, LCD TVs, and pillow-top beds with Pendleton wool blankets.
- Mazzola’s Italian Diner: Try lasagna made with Colorado bison or bruschetta-inspired pizza at this onsite restaurant and bar.
- Take in the view: The indoor hot tub overlooks the town’s main drag, and the Rockies can be seen in the distance.
- Get cozy: Grab a book from the library and curl up on a leather sofa by the lobby fireplace, or play board games in the common area.
- Downtown Steamboat Springs is easily walkable; you’ll find specialty retailers, art galleries, and sports outfitters.
- Distance from Steamboat mountain resort: 4 miles, about a 10-minute drive
Steamboat Springs, Colorado: Hiking and Mountain Biking on Scenic Alpine Trails
Steamboat Springs hugs the western ridge of the Continental Divide in northwest Colorado, 150 miles northwest of Denver. Though it’s still a ranching center, the town is best known as a world-class ski destination. In the warmer months, Steamboat Resort’s alpine trails are a popular spot for hikers and mountain bikers.
You can also bike along the 7-mile Yampa River Core Trail, which follows its namesake river through downtown Steamboat and several parks. If you prefer hiking, Fish Creek Falls is a rewarding trek. You can see the falls after just 0.2 miles and continue for another 2.25 miles to reach the top of the cascade.
The alpine berg gets its name from the 150-plus hot springs that dot the area; legend has it that the springs sounded, to early settlers, like a steamboat rounding the bend. Visit Strawberry Park Hot Springs to soak in mineral water heated to 104 degrees. Clothing is optional after dark.