Hotel at a Glance: The Inn at Harbor Shores
A newly built luxury hotel along Lake Michigan, The Inn at Harbor Shores features views of the lake, the St. Joseph River, and the resort’s own elegantly landscaped golf course. You can explore 12 miles of scenic walking trails or dock your boats at The Inn’s onsite marina. With high-end dining options and a spa on the premises, The Inn draws many visitors from Chicago, just 90 miles away.
- Hit the greens: The onsite Harbor Shores Golf Club has an 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course that recently hosted the Senior PGA Championship (seasonal).
- Visit Plank’s Tavern: the award-winning onsite restaurant overlooking Lake Michigan. Select options of this Groupon come with a $50 dining credit, a bottle of wine, and a buy one, get one wine tasting at 12 Corners Vineyards.
- Make a splash in the indoor and outdoor pools and hot tub.
- Where you’ll stay: Luxury guest rooms feature decor from local artists, private balconies, and flat-screen TVs.
- Have a massage or mani-pedi at The Inn’s spa, which also offers cosmetic medical procedures from an in-house doctor.
- Mingle over happy hour: Partake in “Inntermission” Sunday through Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. for complimentary beer, wine, and snacks at Plank’s Tavern.
Saint Joseph, Michigan: The Riviera of the Midwest
With a nickname like “The Riviera of the Midwest,” you know Saint Joseph is going to be scenic. A little resort community on the shores of Lake Michigan, Saint Joseph attracts visitors year-round to its antique shops and quaint restaurants. For kids, Silver Beach is a popular place to go to when the weather’s warm, since it has its own carousel, children’s museum, and Michigan’s tallest kaleidoscope.
Some Midwesterners may not even know about all the wineries in southwest Michigan—there are more than a dozen vineyards within a short drive of Harbor Shores, as the area features a Napa-like terrain that’s perfect for winemaking. If beer or whiskey is more to your liking, you’re in luck, as Saint Joseph is also very close to several Michigan breweries and distilleries, including Journeyman Distillery, a popular whiskey producer.