Hotel at a Glance: The Lodge at Nakoma
If, upon walking into the Lodge at Nakoma, you feel like you’ve entered a Frank Lloyd Wright building, it’s no wonder. The Lodge, a recent addition to the sprawling Nakoma property, was purposefully designed to complement the resort’s centerpiece: the Nakoma Clubhouse, a majestic, tepee-like edifice designed by Wright himself. The Lodge just opened its doors this summer, welcoming guests to relax and renew in the California wild.
- Where you’ll stay: a standard guest room with a flat-screen TV, free WiFi, and large picture windows
- Unwind with a massage at the Spa at Nakoma, which also offers exfoliating body scrubs and facials.
- Tee off at the 18-hole championship golf course, which has a view of the Sierra Nevada mountains at every turn.
- Warm up next to a four-sided fireplace at the onsite restaurant, The Wigwam Room, located in the clubhouse.
- Dinner menu: Poached-pear salad and lasagna with béchamel and bolognese sauces are just two of the items on the menu at the Wigwam Room.
Plumas County, California: Rugged Scenery in the Sierra Nevada
Nestled in the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Plumas County is a sparsely populated section of northern California that’s rich in natural beauty. Much of the county is covered by Plumas National Forest, which contains more than 100 lakes in its 1.2 million acres. When it’s warm, popular pursuits include everything you’d expect in a place of relative wilderness: hiking, kayaking, and fishing, to name a few. For a scenic drive, touch your tires to the Feather River National Scenic Byway, which passes by woodlands and between canyon walls.