Hotel at a Glance: The Morgan – San Simeon
As you drive on famously scenic Highway 1 along California’s coast, The Morgan – San Simeon is a convenient and upscale place to stop for the night. The boutique hotel’s spacious guest rooms feature mini fridges and free WiFi; deluxe rooms have fireplaces.
- Hearst Castle is just a few minutes’ drive away—be sure to book a tour ahead of time.
- Close day trips: the scenic village of Cambria and Paso Robles Wine Country
- Complimentary breakfast is served each morning and includes pastries from a local bakery
- Take a dip in the outdoor pool and lounge around the patio.
- Get pampered with onsite massage services.
San Simeon, California: Elephant Seals and Hearst Castle
When walking around the beaches of San Simeon, make sure not to trip over elephant seals. Home to an enormous elephant seal population and free rookery, San Simeon’s beaches are popular spots for viewing the animals up close. There’s more than seal-watching to do in this charming Californian city that’s midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. This is the home of the opulent Hearst Castle, the 1947 dream home of William Randolph Hearst, which is set on 127 acres of gardens and pools. Visitors can take guided tours of the castle’s 165 lavish rooms and marvel at the outdoor pool, which holds 345,000 gallons of water.
There’s also no shortage of quick day trips to be made from San Simeon—grab a seat on the Wine Wrangler, a wine-tasting shuttle tour that takes passengers around the many vineyards in nearby Paso Robles Wine Country. You can also visit Cambria Village, a charming town with art galleries and unique antique shops, about five miles away from San Simeon.