Luxurious Beach Hotel along Great South Bay on Fire Island
Ferries from New York City and Long Island regularly cruise along Great South Bay toward Ocean Beach, New York, to drop off tourists at Fire Island. You can watch them come in right from The Palms Hotel Fire Island, a TripAdvisor 2013 Certificate of Excellence winner. Just pull up a deck chair along the hotel’s private beach, which overlooks the bay's calm waters. The private bay beach is located right behind the property—large sun umbrella rental is included from the hotel to enjoy the shade or kick back on one of many beach beds.
Each of The Palms’ king or full rooms has a cool-and-dreamy feel to it. There are gauzy curtains draping the windows and white duvets covering the pillow-top beds. Bathrooms are decked out in italian ceramic and luxurious L’Occitane bath products. After settling in, you can borrow one of the hotel’s hand wagons and walk from the hotel to one of the nearby groceries. Or you could have dinner at the onsite CJ's Restaurant, home to the famous Rocket Fuel frozen cocktail.
Highlights of Ocean Beach, NY
- Where to Find it: Ocean Beach is located on Fire Island, a long, thin stretch of land off Long Island's southern shores.
- Old-fashioned vibe: Cars are banned all over Fire Island, which complements its clean beaches and quaint, cottage-lined streets.
- Must-see site: Fire Island Lighthouse is worth a visit for its great views. Climb the 192 winding steps to the top to get a panoramic view of the island, and then head back down to check out the museum housed in the old keeper’s quarters.
- Sunken Forest: Many tourists make a day trip to the whimsical Sunken Forest, a wooded environment nestled into a large sand dune. From the outside, it looks like a forest that sits below sea level.
- LGBTQ friendly: The island has been a popular spot for LGBTQ travelers for years.