The Plaza Hotel & Suites
The Plaza Hotel & Suites is one of the largest hotels in west-central Wisconsin’s Chippewa Valley region, which is known for its riverfront biking trails and family dairy farms. No matter the season, there’s always something to do—an indoor recreation center features two swimming pools, a 13-person jacuzzi, and an arcade, and you can get homemade pizzas and kids’ specials at the two onsite restaurants.
- Recently remodeled accommodations: Guest rooms feature microwaves, refrigerators, and flat screen TVs
- Take a brewery tour: At the Leinenkugel Brewery, about a 20-minute drive north in Chippewa Falls.
- Relax: in the pool or the lounge
- Visit the Friday night fish buffet: at Burgundy’s Restaurant, which also serves breakfast, lunch, and a la carte dinners
- Happy Hour at Brewski’s Pub and Grill: includes drink specials and appetizers
- Walking distance to: Chippewa Valley scenic bike trail, much of which runs along the old Milwaukee
Eau Claire, Wisconsin: Former Timber Town in the Chippewa Valley
Eau Claire lies 90 miles east of Minneapolis in Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley. The area is pleasant in the summer—temps average in the mid-80s—and in the cold months, frozen lakes make for scenic ice-skating and ice fishing.
Located in the heart of Eau Claire, Carson Park is a popular spot for recreation, since you can play baseball in the shadow of a Hank Aaron statue (he once played for the Eau Claire Bears), or watch the sunset over Braun’s Bay Pavilion. Just past the ball fields, you’ll find the Chippewa Valley Museum, where a set of rotating exhibits reveal the region’s history of indigenous tribes, the arrival of European immigrants, and the timber boom. Downtown, you can catch a show at the State Theatre, where the offerings often include musicals, jazz acts, and the occasional stand-up comic.