Hotel At a Glance: The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel
California Redwood country surrounds The Redwood Fortuna Riverwalk Hotel—there are more than 40 parks, forests, and reserves nearby where you can visit the iconic giant trees that have stood for hundreds of years. The hotel, located right off the scenic US 101 in California, has vintage styling and nods to the local area, such as hand-painted murals, leather furnishings in the lobby, and an antique kayak and fly-fishing display.
- Redwoods abound nearby; you'll be within a 15-minute drive of the Avenue of the Giants where you can see the giant trees firsthand.
- Grow your own redwood in your backyard with the redwood sapling included in this deal
- Go kayaking or hiking along the banks of the nearby Eel River
- Enjoy hearty steaks at Springville Steak and Grille, which serves burgers, steaks, and vegetarian fare with ingredients from local suppliers
- The spacious rooms are decorated traditionally, with wood furnishings and soothing earth tones
Fortuna, California: Mighty Redwoods and Foodie Diversions
After being settled in the late 19th century, Fortuna, California, was supposedly given its Spanish name because its residents felt so fortunate to be living near forests, the river valley, and the Pacific Ocean. A good marketing gimmick, to be sure, but the scenery is something to behold and worth seeing. The highlight of the landscape has to be the mighty redwood trees, which you can see along Highway 101 on a drive to the Avenue of the Giants, which has 31 miles of redwood groves and is surrounded by Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Here, you can hike, bikes, swim, and fish near the famous ancient trees.
There's lots to do in Fortuna the city, too—check out Clendenen's Cider Works, a real, old-fashioned cider mill with tastings and a press that's been in operation since 1916. The Loleta Cheese Factory, a local cheesemaking facility, offers tours so you can see the process as it moves from cows to cheese and tasty samples. Fortuna's walkable downtown has upscale shops, galleries, and restaurants to wander through on a sunny afternoon.