Hotel at a Glance: The Spencer Hotel & Spa
Few hotels embrace the literary life quite like The Spencer Hotel & Spa. Each sun-drenched guest room pays homage to a namesake author with hand-painted murals and a book collection representative of their work. Many of the hotel’s common areas are also designed for curling up with a good book—or you can head to the Monet Parlor to watch a movie on the projection screen.
- Watch small-town life go by from the Victorian sofas and rockers on the porch.
- Your gourmet breakfast will be served in the Peacock Dining Room.
- In-room amenities include free WiFi, comfy robes, and warm down bedding. All suites also offer a kitchen and a separate sitting area.
- Have a glass of wine or a cold beer at the onsite bar.
- Detox in the cedar sauna: A free sauna session is included with the purchase of spa services, which include various massages, such as the Spencer renewal massage or the Pablo Neruda hot stone massage.
- Enjoy coffee and tea in the Parlor, served until the evening.
- Get active: Take a walk along the banks of the Chautauqua Lake, or go skiing or hiking in the surrounding countryside.
Chautauqua, New York: Lakeside Small Town Surrounded by Wine Country
Set on the shores of Chautauqua Lake, Chautauqua looks beautiful whether covered in snow or basking in the sun. Smithsonian magazine gave Chautauqua the top spot in its list of “The 20 Best Small Towns to Visit in 2014,” but not just for the town’s natural beauty. It’s also the home of the Chautauqua Institution, founded in 1874.
Originally a Sunday school, the institute helps to inspire lifelong learning with arts, religion, educational, and recreational programs. This mission remains unchanged today. You can learn to paint, see the symphony, play a round of golf, and attend educational lectures, all in a single day. The institute is committed to both celebrating diversity and its Christian heritage, and hosts a variety of ways to worship.
America’s Grape Country surrounds Chautauqua. It’s the largest grape-growing region east of the Rockies and home to the world’s oldest Concord grape vines. Take a tasting tour of the countryside to sample wines from Johnson Estate Winery and the award-winning Merritt Estate Winery.