Family-friendly resort features indoor water park and access to Northwoods recreation
Hotel at a Glance: The Waters of Minocqua
This family-friendly resort in northern Wisconsin has the look of a woodsy wilderness lodge, with log furnishings and a big stone fireplace in the great room. But guests are far from roughing it—a pub, a cafe, and an indoor water park are among the amenities on site.
- Make a splash in the indoor water park, which features pools, slides, and a kids’ play area (water slide hours may vary).
- The Waters Pub serves made-to-order pizzas, burgers, and appetizers, as well as beers and cocktails. It’s open Monday–Saturday.
- Start the day right with a complimentary breakfast.
- Starbucks coffee is brewed in the onsite café.
- Rooms and suites feature handcrafted furniture, private balconies, and, in some rooms, fireplaces.
Wisconsin’s Northwoods: Towering Pines and World’s Third-Highest Concentration of Lakes
Hundreds of millions of years ago, this area of northern Wisconsin near Michigan’s Upper Peninsula looked more like the Rocky Mountains than the Great Plains. But between then and now, protracted erosion and glaciation slowly sanded down the once-towering peaks to produce today’s gentle forested hills and endless lakes.
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources claims that this region boasts the world’s third-highest concentration of lakes. There are 900 in the Northern Highland-American Legion State Park, and many of them are ideal for fishing, boating, and canoeing. While you’re exploring this 220,000-acre state park—the most visited in Wisconsin—you might see animals such as black bears, otters, beavers, and deer.