Hotel at a Glance: The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Set right on the shore of Lake Las Vegas in Henderson, The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa is a luxury resort that aims to show travelers a different side of Vegas. This peaceful, worlds-away property was named one of the world's best hotels by Travel + Leisure and has at least one attraction you won't find on the Strip: a private beach.
- Hit the green on the resort's perfectly groomed, challenging private fairways designed by Jack Nicklaus.
- Dive in to all the water activities offered at The Westin, from the giant pool overlooking Lake Las Vegas to the kayaking, boating, and standup-paddleboarding equipment available for rental.
- Eat like a king at Marssa, the resort's AAA Four Diamond–rated Asian fusion restaurant, which serves fresh, hand-rolled sushi and main dishes such as seared duck and pepper-crusted filet mignon.
- Floor-to-ceiling windows in Moroccan-inspired deluxe guest rooms grant views of the surrounding areas.
- Las Vegas lights and casinos on the Strip are a short drive away.
Las Vegas: The Strip Past and Present
Mentioning Las Vegas usually conjures up images of spinning roulette wheels and stone-faced poker players. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll want to make a beeline for the casinos lining the neon-lit Strip. But for lower-stakes gambling in a throwback Vegas atmosphere, head downtown to Fremont Street. Vintage signs and showgirls crowned with headdresses recall the days of Sinatra and Martin, but this Glitter Gulch burns much brighter today than it did in the Rat Pack era: beginning at dusk, a canopy of more than 12 million LED lights erupts in a psychedelic light and music show every hour.
Educational attractions have never been Sin City's strong suit, but the Mob Museum boasts a winning formula: bank robberies, prostitution, and money laundering. Exhibits profile legendary Mafiosi from Capone to Gotti, and mob artifacts include the bloodstained, bullet-pocked brick wall from the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. Within the former federal courthouse, you can fire a Tommy gun simulator, participate in a police lineup, or enter witness protection for the rest of your life.