Hotel at a Glance: The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Set right on the shores of Lake Las Vegas in Henderson, this four-star Westin resort and spa shows travelers the quiet side of Sin City. Named one of the world’s best hotels by Travel + Leisure, the peaceful property has at least one attraction you won’t find on the Strip: a private beach.
- Where you’ll stay: Stylish guest rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows looking out on the grounds or the lake.
- Hit the greens at Reflection Bay Golf Club or enjoy exclusive access to SouthShore Golf Club, the only private Jack Nicklaus Signature course in Nevada.
- Onsite water attractions: a giant pool overlooking the lake and watersports such as standup paddleboarding (equipment available for rent)
- Asian-fusion cuisine: Marssa Steak and Sushi serves fresh, hand-rolled sushi as well as cooked dishes such as seared duck and pepper-crusted filet mignon.
- Other dining options: Enjoy three restaurants, including a poolside bar and grill, and an Arabian-style lounge.
- Daily breakfast buffet for two included with all options on this Getaway ($50 value)
Henderson, Nevada: Thriving Suburb Close to the Vegas Strip
A Las Vegas suburb, Henderson is conveniently close to the Strip but also far enough away to be an escape from the bustle. Livability.com named it a top family vacation destination, highlighting the city’s culture scene, which includes area art galleries and outdoor symphony concerts. At the Clark County Museum, visitors can trace southern Nevada’s history via a timeline exhibit. The museum campus also has several historic buildings—including a decades-old barn and a wedding chapel—as well as a walk-in mining trail.
You’ll find the Hoover Dam, one of America’s Seven Modern Civil Engineering Wonders, about 20 miles east of town. Take the guided tour if you want to learn more about the dam’s history and get a look at the inner passageways. Nearby Lake Mead hosts all sorts of watersports, including kayaking and fishing, but the bulk of the lake’s recreation area consists of mountains and valley with trails for hiking.
Henderson’s shopping scene is another draw: the town features one of the most popular malls off the Strip, Galleria at Sunset. The two-level shopping center houses more than 140 shops and five department stores. But Galleria really stands out because of its Southwestern-themed decor, including fountains, palm trees, and a topiary of animals in the food court. Alternatively, The District at Green Valley Ranch offers an outdoor shopping experience with a pedestrian-friendly promenade that’s lined with boutiques and restaurants. There are also ample opportunities to relax here with a lushly landscaped central park and a grassy courtyard where musicians play live on Friday and Saturday nights from May through October.