Hotel at a Glance: The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Set right on the shore of Lake Las Vegas in Henderson, The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa is a luxury resort that aims to show travelers a different side of Vegas. This peaceful, worlds-away property was named one of the world's best hotels by Travel + Leisure and has at least one attraction you won't find on the Strip: a private beach.
- Hit the green with exclusive access to the Jack Nicklaus Signature Southshore Golf Club, the only private Jack Nicklaus Signature Course in Nevada.
- Dive in to all the water attractions offered at the Westin, from the giant pool overlooking Lake Las Vegas to the kayaking, boating, and standup-paddleboarding equipment available for rental.
- Eat like a king at Marssa, the resort's AAA Four Diamond Asian-fusion restaurant. It serves fresh, hand-rolled sushi and main dishes such as seared duck and pepper-crusted filet mignon.
- Moroccan-inspired traditional resort view guest rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows that grant views of the surrounding areas.
- Las Vegas lights and casinos on the Strip are a short drive away.
Henderson, Nevada: Thriving Suburb Close to the Las Vegas Strip
A Las Vegas suburb, Henderson is conveniently close to the Strip but also far enough away to be an escape from the bustle. Livability.com named it a top family vacation destination, highlighting the city’s culture scene, which includes area art galleries and outdoor symphony concerts. At the Clark County Museum, visitors can trace southern Nevada’s history via a timeline exhibit. The museum campus also has several historic buildings—including a decades-old barn and a wedding chapel—as well as a walk-in mining trail.
You’ll find the Hoover Dam, one of America’s Seven Modern Civil Engineering Wonders, about 20 miles east of town. Take the guided tour if you want to learn more about the dam’s history and get a look at the inner passageways. Nearby Lake Mead hosts all sorts of watersports, including kayaking and fishing, but the bulk of the lake’s recreation area consists of mountains and valley with trails for hiking.
Henderson’s shopping scene is another draw: the town features one of the most popular malls off the Strip, Galleria at Sunset. The two-level shopping center houses more than 140 shops and five department stores. But Galleria really stands out because of its Southwestern-themed decor, including fountains, palm trees, and a topiary of animals in the food court. Alternatively, The District at Green Valley Ranch offers an outdoor shopping experience with a pedestrian-friendly promenade that’s lined with boutiques and restaurants. There are also ample opportunities to relax here with a lushly landscaped central park and a grassy courtyard where musicians play live on Friday and Saturday nights from May through October.