Hotel at a Glance: Villa Rosa Inn
A pair of palm trees flanks the archway that leads up to the Villa Rose in, which is housed in a stately Spanish Colonial building near the beach. The lavish bed and breakfast was built more than eight decades ago and is trimmed from top to bottom in elegant furnishings that have helped it earn praise from Los Angeles Magazine and Glamour.
- Distance from the beach: one block
- Elegant accents such as carved wooden bed frames and button-back sofa chairs; some guest rooms have fireplaces and views of the nearby mountains
- Free continental breakfast served every morning from 7:30 to 10
- Outdoor pool and jacuzzi secluded in a walled courtyard
- Gourmet cheeses are served with wine from 5-7 p.m. and a nightcap of complimentary port wine or sherry is served from 9-10 p.m.
Highlights of Santa Barbara, California
- Scenery sandwich: Santa Barbara has an enviable location right between Pacific beaches and the Santa Ynez Mountains.
- Charming downtown corridor along State Street is a steady parade of mom-and-pop shops, cafes, bars, art galleries, and movie theaters
- Mediterranean architecture: think red-tile roofs, stucco facades, and Moorish-style arches
- Breezy and warm climate year-round provides an environment for lush tropical foliage to thrive
- Recommended hike: the 3.5-mile round-trip trek to Inspiration Point, which reveals scenic views of the Santa Barbara coastline and the Channel Islands off the coast