Hotel at a Glance: Waterside Inn
The Waterside Inn is a charming place to stay on scenic Chincoteague Island. Guest rooms are comfortable and homey, with free WiFi, coffee, and private balconies overlooking Chincoteague Bay. With a marina that’s perfect for docking your boat, the property is ideally situated for exploring one of the East Coast’s most picturesque little islands.
- Full breakfast each morning with belgian waffles, coffee, juice, and other staples
- Catch flounder off the 220-foot private fishing and crabbing pier.
- Soak stress away in the solar-heated indoor hot tub (adults-only).
- Explore the coastline at Assateague Island National Seashore.
- Witness a rocket launch at the nearby Wallops Flight Facility, where visitors can choose to view launches from the outside bleachers near the visitor center, or via live broadcast in the auditorium.
Chincoteague, Virginia: Sleepy Fishing Village with Unspoiled Coastline near Assateague Island
An island along the northern Virginia coastline, Chincoteague has the charm of a worn-in fishing village. There are no noisy boardwalks or sky-scraping hotels here—just quiet shops and virgin beaches. A popular way to explore the island’s winding waterways is on a boat tour; many make stops along the way for passengers to collect seashells or sample a raw oyster or two.
Be sure to cross the bay to neighboring Assateague Island to explore the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Its most famous residents are the Chincoteague wild ponies, who’ve lived on the island for hundreds of years. There’s another herd of wild horses further north along the Assateague National Seashore, a sprawling stretch of unspoiled beaches with nary a condo or billboard in sight.