Waterfront Condos Just Outside St. Petersburg
Westwinds Waterfront Resort is set on Florida’s Treasure Island. There’s some dispute about the origins of the island’s name. Some say that pirates hid gold here. Others say locals buried treasure chests and then pretended to find them in order to boost property values. In any case, you shouldn’t expect to leave the island weighed down with doubloons. There are other riches here, however—a long white-sand beach and the Gulf of Mexico among them. Westwinds stands only a few yards from the sand and has a handful of piers, from which you can watch the pods of dolphins and manatees that frequently pass through the area.
The resort’s one- and two-bedroom full-size condos are fully furnished, and many have views of the open bay. For at-home dining, you can cook on the outdoor barbecue grills or in the fully equipped kitchen, which has granite countertops, stainless-steel appliances, a dishwasher, and cooking utensils. During the day, cool off in the outdoor pool or head down to the beach.
Highlights of Treasure Island, Florida
- The shoreline consists of 3 miles of white sand.
- Extra-wide beaches in the middle of the island are lined with shops, restaurants, and bars.
- Walk along the pier that runs parallel to the shoreline between 104th and 119th Avenues.
- Explore the surrounding area by taking the Suncoast Beach Trolley, which makes stops at popular beaches and Clearwater’s Pier 60, site of a nightly sunset celebration.
- Distance from St. Petersburg: 8 miles
- Distance from Busch Gardens: an hour’s drive