Hotel at a Glance: Windtower Lodge & Suites
With its cedar-and-stone façade set against the snow-capped Canadian Rockies, it’s easy to mistake Windtower Lodge & Suites for a Swiss chalet. The lodge makes its home in Canmore, a town famed for its abundance of winter recreation and its proximity to the popular Banff National Park.
- Organic meats are used in The Wandering Elk’s mountain-inspired cuisine; your stay includes a daily appetizer. Step out to the patio for nice views of the surrounding mountains.
- Hot buffet breakfast is included to get you ready for a day exploring Canmore’s breathtaking landscape.
- Home away from home: All guest rooms and suites offer flat-screen TVs; suites also have fireplaces and balconies.
- Warm up: The outdoor hot tub stays open till 10 p.m., so you can relax beneath starry skies.
- Take a helicopter ride over the Canadian Rockies (optional; fees apply).
Canmore, Alberta: Outdoor Adventure near Banff National Park
Near the southern edge of Banff National Park, Canmore’s captivating natural setting in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies has served as a backdrop for such movies as Brokeback Mountain and Legends of the Fall. When you’re not exploring the scenery, it’s worth the trip to Canmore Nordic Centre. You can ice-skate and cross-country ski here in the winter, or mountain bike in warmer weather. Nearby Kananaskis is great for downhill skiing.
Downtown Canmore is a peaceful place to unwind after an outdoor adrenaline rush. The area got its start as a mining town. Nowadays, Main Street is lined with quirky boutiques and art galleries.
Love to travel? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for travel tips, inspiration, and photos from around the world.
<img src=”http://gr.pn/1qcASD2” style=”float: left; margin-right:13px” alt=“Getaways Staff Picks” />”The views from Windtower Lodge & Suites are absolutely stunning. When you meet the staff, they give you a feeling that your stay will be one for the ages. The food at The Wandering Elk is amazing and the specials are great, too.” – Kevin, Groupon Getaways