Hotel at a Glance: Wine & Roses
Nestled in the heart of Lodi wine country, Wine & Roses provides easy access to the area’s 70 wineries. This Groupon includes an option for a welcome bottle of wine, a wine tasting for two, and a daily $25 dining credit at Towne House Restaurant, the hotel’s onsite eatery.
- Award-winner: Wine & Roses took home a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2013.
- Wine and dine at Towne House Restaurant, which serves seasonal, regional cuisine and wines.
- Organic treatments and massages available at the onsite spa
- Take a cooking class from executive chef John Hitchcock, who welcomes novices and advanced cooks alike.
- Take a dip in the pool or jacuzzi.
- Break a sweat in the fitness center.
Lodi, California: Zinfandel Capital of the World
Grapes have been growing in Lodi—located south of Sacramento and east of the Bay Area—for quite a while. As far back as the 1850s, observers were noting the wild grapes that popped up along the Calaveras River, earning it the nickname “Wine Creek.” Grape growing has become a little more organized since then. Today, Lodi is an American Viticultural Area encompassing half a million acres and some 70 wineries.
The region is best known for its old-vine zinfandels—in fact, it’s been called the “Zinfandel Capital of the World.” Since Lodi is smaller than Napa and less well known, visitors can create a memorable wine-country experience with lower prices and more tasting-room attention than they’d find upstate.