Hotel at a Glance: Wine & Roses
Nestled in Lodi wine country, Wine & Roses provides easy access to the area’s 70 wineries. This Groupon includes discounted tasting at Lodi Wine & Visitor Center, where you can learn more about the region’s vino.
- Award winner: Wine & Roses received a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2015.
- Wine and dine: The onsite Towne House Restaurant serves seasonal regional cuisine and wines.
- Signature spa service: The W & R Ultimate treatment includes an organic body scrub and a massage with moisturizing body butter.
- Take a cooking class from Executive Chef John Hitchcock, who welcomes novices and advanced cooks alike.
- Take a dip in the pool or hot tub.
- Break a sweat in the fitness center.
Lodi, California: Zinfandel Capital of the World
Grapes have been growing in Lodi—located south of Sacramento and east of the Bay Area—for quite a while. As far back as the 1850s, observers were noting the wild grapes that popped up along the Calaveras River, earning it the nickname “Wine Creek.” Grape growing has become a little more organized since then. Today, Lodi is an American Viticultural Area encompassing half a million acres and some 70 wineries.
The region is best known for its old-vine zinfandels—in fact, it’s been called the “Zinfandel Capital of the World.” Since Lodi is smaller than Napa and less well known, visitors can create a memorable wine-country experience with lower prices and more tasting-room attention than they’d find upstate.