Hotel at a Glance: Wingate by Wyndham at Universal Studios & Convention Center
Situated just a half mile from Universal Studios Florida, the Wingate by Wyndham at Universal Studios & Convention Center is a family-friendly home base for exploring Orlando’s many theme parks. If you don’t feel like hoofing it, the resort offers a free shuttle to the front gates of Universal Studios. Inside, park visitors enter the world of their favorite movies and TV shows via interactive attractions based on Despicable Me, The Simpsons, Spider-Man, and more.
- Must-see attraction: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, located at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, re-creates the village of Hogsmeade with rides, shops, interactive experiences, and all the Butterbeer you can drink.
- Distance to Magic Kingdom® Park: 13 miles
- Start the morning right with a complimentary breakfast of cereals, pastries, bagels, eggs, and a waffle station, as well as juice, coffee, and tea.
- In-room amenities: Guest rooms include a 32-inch flat-screen TV, microwave, mini fridge, and coffeemaker.
- Stay fit at the onsite fitness center or outdoor pool.
Orlando, Florida: World-Famous Theme Parks and Cultural Surprises
Located in the center of Florida, Orlando may be forever associated with the Walt Disney World® Theme Parks—the world’s most-visited entertainment resort. Spanning roughly 30,000 acres, it encompasses four theme parks, two water parks, five golf courses, and the Downtown Disney® Marketplace. There’s no shortage of things to do here: begin your day by boarding a rocket-shaped three-seater that climbs to 180 feet before entering a deep black tunnel and racing past stars, satellites, and constellations. Walk across the park to sample Moroccan cuisine for lunch, or ride a dune buggy through a haunted mansion. Before heading back to the hotel, take in the nightly fireworks, laser, and water show. One of the most popular family destinations in the world, sunny Orlando is also home to Universal Orlando—which includes The Wizarding World of Harry Potter—SeaWorld, and Gatorland.
Those hoping to shake up the typical theme-park-dominated itinerary can head into downtown Orlando’s vibrant arts district. The neighborhood boasts venues such as CityArts Factory, a multifaceted patchwork of gallery spaces, and SAK Comedy Lab, which hosts family-friendly improv shows five nights a week.
About a 10-minute drive north, you’ll find eight cultural institutions at Loch Haven Park, including the Orlando Museum of Art, which houses work by Georgia O’Keeffe, Robert Rauschenberg, Ansel Adams, and Andy Warhol. The park is also home to the Orlando Shakespeare Theater, the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Orlando Science Center, where you can a rover across a simulation of Mars or race on a 70-foot pinewood derby track.