Hotel at a Glance: Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta / Buford
Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Buford lies in proximity to several noteworthy attractions, all varied enough to satisfy a range of interests. The Mall of Georgia—just a mile from the hotel—features more than 225 stores, and at Road Atlanta you can take driving lessons on a professional racetrack or watch vintage cars careen around hairpin turns. There’s also a minor league baseball team stationed here, and a lake about 20 minutes away.
- Contemporary guest rooms: feature microwaves, refrigerators, and flat-screen TVs
- Complimentary breakfast buffet: including scrambled eggs, waffles, sausage, and bacon
- Take a dip: in the hotel’s indoor swimming pool
- Stone Mountain Park: contains granite rock hiking, ropes courses, a paddlewheel cruise, and a living museum of southern history; it's located 40 minutes from the hotel
- Pressed or pleated: The hotel offers same-day dry cleaning.
Buford, Georgia: Family-Friendly Atlanta Suburb with Boating, Hiking, and Shopping
Lake Lanier Islands, located on Georgia’s largest lake, have been among the region’s top recreation destinations for more than 30 years. In addition to going fishing, boating, and swimming, you can barrel down water slides, zip-line through treetops, or ride your bike along a network of shoreline trails. The mid-size city of Buford, which sits about 40 minutes northeast of Atlanta, also boasts a downtown art colony and the brand new Gwinnett Environmental & Heritage Center. At nearby Stone Mountain Park—which Frommer's named one of the "500 Places to Take Your Kids Before They Grow Up"—you can explore 3,200 acres of mountains, antebellum plantations, scenic railroads, and theme rides.