Hotel at a Glance: Wingate by Wyndham Greensboro
You’ll be presented with a welcome gift as soon as you arrive at this Wingate by Wyndham hotel. Up in your guest room, you’ll find a comfortable sitting area for relaxing, plus such conveniences as a microwave, coffeemaker, and free WiFi.
- Dig in to plates of fresh fruit, hot bacon or sausage, and more at the complimentary breakfast buffet.
- Go for a swim in the outdoor pool.
- Stay on top of your workout using the hotel’s expanded fitness center.
- Enjoy modern and contemporary art at the Weatherspoon Art Museum, about 8 miles from the hotel.
- Take a stroll through the Bog Garden (6 mi. away), which features waterfalls, wild roses, and plenty of native and migratory birds.
Piedmont Triad Region, North Carolina: Furniture Hub near Historical Museums
For more than a century, High Point has been known for its makers of high-end furniture. The first shop opened in the late 19th century, and show rooms still line Main Street today, alongside boutiques and close to Victorian homes. You can delve deeper into the region’s history at two of its oldest residences. Dating from 1786 and 1801, the houses contain the High Point Museum’s collection of historical rifles and antique Furby dolls. One of the exhibits here explores the region’s furniture-manufacturing legacy with photographs, antique machinery, and interactive displays; you can also get a glimpse into the past with living history demonstrations, which range from garden herb lore to a fully outfitted blacksmith shop.
Located in Greensboro, the International Civil Rights Center & Museum was built around the original Woolworth counter where students from North Carolina A&T famously protested segregation with a sit-in. In Winston-Salem, 20 miles northwest of High Point, the historical district of Old Salem brims with 18th-century Moravian buildings. Here, costumed interpreters from the Old Salem Museums & Gardens help kids write with quills or produce Scherenschnitte, intricately cut paper designs of German origin, on most Tuesdays and Thursdays.