Hotel at a Glance: Wingate by Wyndham Raleigh North
Wingate by Wyndham Raleigh North offers a quiet getaway just a few miles from downtown Raleigh. Start your morning with eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and waffles from the complimentary hot breakfast buffet, or fit in a workout in the fitness center. On Wednesdays, the hotel offers a manager’s reception where you can wash down complimentary hot meal with beer, wine, and soft drinks.
- Take a dip in the hotel’s seasonal outdoor pool, or relax in the hot tub.
- Accommodations: Each spacious room is equipped with a mini fridge and microwave.
- Grab a bite at one of many nearby restaurants, which offer a variety of cuisines including Mexican, Korean, and classic American.
- Within 6 miles: the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, the North Carolina Museum of Art, and the interactive Marbles Kids Museum
- Catch a game at Carter-Finley Stadium or PNC Arena; both are 7 miles away.
Raleigh, North Carolina: Academia and Southern Cuisine in the Research Triangle
With Duke University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and North Carolina State University all nearby, the area around Raleigh is often called the Research Triangle. Just 15 minutes from the hotel is Research Triangle Park, where IBM, Cisco, Credit Suisse, and about 170 other companies have offices.
Thanks in part to the schools’ large population of international students, it’s not hard to find ethnic restaurants in the area. The college atmosphere also lends itself to several local microbreweries. While you’re here, be sure to try Carolina-style barbecue, best known for its vinegar-infused sauce.
There are several art galleries and museums nearby as well. The North Carolina Museum of Art’s collection includes European, African, and American works; an upcoming exhibit this fall is dedicated to Dutch and Flemish painters. In neighboring Durham, you’ll find the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, which houses works by van Gogh, Picasso, Renoir, and Matisse.