Hotel at a Glance: Woodmark Hotel
Voted one of the top 100 mainland US resorts by Condé Nast Traveler, the waterfront AAA Four Diamond Woodmark Hotel is just 15 minutes east of Seattle. Such proximity to the city means views of the lake often have the city skyline and the Olympic Mountains as a backdrop. A black labrador retriever named Woody Meg greets each guest in the lobby; after checking in, you’ll settle in to find posh, comfy rooms and complimentary snacks.
- Luxurious guest rooms feature different pillow options, deep soaking tubs, and an optional lakefront view.
- Raid the Pantry each night from 11 p.m.–1 a.m., when sandwiches, nibbles, and beverages are free for the taking for late-night, in-room snacking.
- Two waterfront restaurants use locally sourced ingredients to create inventive, Lakeside Pacific Northwest flavored dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Borrow a beach-cruiser bike or rent a kayak on warmer days to paddle around the lake.
- Unwind with an 80-minute massage at the onsite spa, which also offers relaxing facials, nail treatments, and organic body scrubs.
Kirkland, Washington: Natural Beauty on Seattle’s Doorstep
Taking advantage of its status as the only hotel on Lake Washington, the Woodmark is a launching pad for boating and kayaking excursions as well as waterfront hiking trips. First-time visitors can get a proper introduction to the place with a 90-minute sightseeing cruise that floats past houses of the rich and famous, as well as Husky Stadium. Nearby, Juanita Bay Park’s wooded wetlands and shallow marshes feature 110 acres of trails and habitats, a place to spot hummingbirds, warblers, beavers, salamanders, and nearly 200 other woodland creatures.
Just 15 minutes from the hotel, Seattle’s signature coffee shops, inimitable seafood, and eclectic museums (including the Frank Gehry–designed Experimental Music Project Museum) offer a change of pace from outdoor activities. Pike Place Market is a must for any foodie—fresh fish and produce, signature chowders, and tasty free samples abound.