Hotel at a Glance: Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar
Though this resort is on a Caribbean island, US citizens don’t need their passports to visit—Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar is set along the picture-perfect beaches of Puerto Rico’s eastern coast. One of this Getaway’s options comes with a wealth of all-inclusive perks, including three daily meals, WiFi, and unlimited domestic beer and house-brand cocktails. You’ll also have access to many upscale amenities on the Palmas del Mar campus.
- Try your luck with the on-site casino’s slot machines and table games.
- Enjoy discounts at area businesses. The all-inclusive option includes 20% off at Los Lagos Salon & Spa and 10% off at Target Golf Cart Rental; the remaining options feature a 15% discount at David’s Cookies, a 10% discount at Target Golf Cart Rental, and a 20% discount at Los Lagos Salon & Spa.
- Cool off with a drink from the swim-up bar in the hotel’s infinity pool. Kids can splash around in the children’s pool.
- Where to eat: The resort’s restaurants range from an alfresco eatery serving Caribbean-inspired dishes to a classy wine bar.
- Get active with a workout in the fitness center or a match at Palmas del Mar’s tennis club, where you can test your skills on 2 artificial-grass OmniCourts,4 Har-Tru clay courts, or 14 hard courts.
- Explore the island: Kayak throug h Fajardo Bay, which appears to light up due to bioluminescent plankton.
- Other things to do: Go horseback riding along the beach or tee off at the Palmas del Mar Golf Club.
Eastern Puerto Rico: Rainforests, Beaches, and Spanish Colonial History
Located just east of the Dominican Republic, the US commonwealth of Puerto Rico attracts mainland Americans looking for an exotic Caribbean destination without the need for a passport. Though Puerto Rico’s small size (it’s about as large as Connecticut) makes it possible to see the whole territory in one trip, its eastern regions provide the best combination of outdoor trips and cultural activities. About an hour’s drive east of San Juan lies El Yunque, the only tropical rainforest in the US National Forest system, containing hundreds of exotic plant and animal species within its 28,000 acres. After hiking through this often-misty forest, take a short drive to the eastern coast and board a public ferry to Puerto Rico’s two less-populated islands—Vieques and Culebra. Both are well known for first-rate fishing, snorkeling, and diving waters.
Located along the island’s northeastern coast, the capital city of San Juan opens a window into Puerto Rico’s Spanish colonial past with historical mansions, cathedrals, and aimlessly wandering conquistadors. The city’s historical section is called Old San Juan, settled by the Spanish in 1521. Here, you’ll see blue-cobblestone streets, centuries-old churches, and a 42-foot wall that once protected the city. To delve into the island’s artistic culture, head to the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, which displays a collection of pieces dating back to the 17th century.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best way to travel to the hotel from the airport? Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU) is the closest airport to the property. Travel time from the airport to the hotel is approximately 60 minutes one-way and preferred transportation will be taxi or private transportation. Charges may vary, but all arrangements may be made in advance by contacting the hotel’s concierge desk at (787) 850-6000 Ext. 1070
2. Is there an additional occupancy fee, or do I have to purchase another Groupon? The Groupon covers two guests. Adding occupants above standard in a traditional or deluxe two-double room, please contact Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar directly for details.
3. Will I be approached to attend a timeshare sales presentation? Groupon customers are never obligated to attend a sales presentation. If you are approached and decline a presentation, you will not lose the value of your Groupon or have to pay additional fees.
4. Which activities and amenities are included in the resort credits? Resort credit is not included with the Groupon.
5. Are dinner reservations required for restaurants? Is there a dress code? For information regarding your dining options, please click here or call (787) 850-6000.