Hotel at Glance: Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach
Guests at the Wyndham Garden in Fort Walton Beach should have no problem finding a spot to relax—the hotel is located steps from the white-sand beach, and there are also two pools, which share space with the seasonal poolside bar and grill. If you’ve had enough of the outdoors, retreat to your guest room, which includes a 32-inch LCD HDTV and DVD player that allows you to make ample use of the free video library. Suites add on a full kitchen and sitting area for extra comfort.
- Take a ride along the sandy shores on a complimentary bicycle.
- Go fishing at the 1,262-foot-long fishing pier, located about a mile from the hotel.
- Play a game of ping-pong, badminton, or pool basketball, or grab a free game card and try your luck at Bingo by the pool.
- Stay connected with the free high-speed wireless internet.
- Entertain the kids at the Johnny Jaws Kids Klub where kids aged 5-12 can enjoy activities, arts and crafts, and hang out with Johnny Jaws, the friendly shark mascot.
- Room with a view: Guest rooms overlook the Gulf of Mexico from a private balcony.
Fort Walton Beach: Discover White Sand Beaches Amid Ancient History
A part of Florida’s Emerald Coast, Fort Walton Beach is home to miles of beautiful white-sand beaches. The beach is said to boast the whitest and cleanest sand, as the uniformly oval shape of each grain even causes a slight squeak when walked upon. Visitors can also expect to find championship golf courses and plentiful shopping in the Uptown shopping district.
Though the earliest permanent European settlers to this area didn’t begin arriving until 1821, Native American history here dates back 14,000 years. This lustrous past is documented at The Indian Temple Mound Museum, which features more than 1,000 artifacts of shell, bone, and clay, as well as one of the country’s best collections of prehistoric ceramics. The ever-expanding Heritage Park and Cultural Center, which includes the Temple Mound Museum, also covers the history of pirates, the American Civil War, and early settlers.