Hotel at a Glance: Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach
Guests at the Wyndham Garden Fort Walton Beach should have no problem finding spots to relax—the hotel is located steps from the white-sand beach, and its two pools share space with a seasonal poolside bar and grill. When you’ve had your fill of the outdoors, retreat to your guest room or suite; it includes a 32-inch LCD high-definition TV and a DVD player that allows you to make ample use of the free video library. Suites add full kitchens and sitting areas for extra comfort.
- Room with a view: Some guest rooms overlook the Gulf of Mexico from private balconies.
- Take a ride along the sandy shores on a complimentary bicycle.
- Play a game of ping-pong, badminton, or pool basketball, or grab a free game card and try your luck at bingo by the pool.
- Crab Island Café: Munch on coconut shrimp and sip a tropical drink at this onsite restaurant.
- Entertain the kids at the Johnny Jaws Kids Klub, where kids aged 5–12 can enjoy activities and arts and crafts and hang out with Johnny Jaws, the friendly shark mascot.
- Go fishing at the 1,262-foot-long fishing pier, located about a mile from the hotel.
Fort Walton Beach, Florida: Discover White-Sand Beaches amid Ancient History
A part of Florida’s Emerald Coast, Fort Walton Beach is home to miles of beautiful white-sand beaches. The beach is said to boast the whitest and cleanest sand, as the uniformly oval shape of each grain even causes a slight squeak when walked upon. Visitors can also expect to find championship golf courses and plentiful shopping in the Uptown shopping district.
Though the area’s earliest permanent European settlers didn’t begin arriving until 1821, Native American history here dates back 14,000 years. This history is documented at the Indian Temple Mound Museum, which features more than 1,000 artifacts of shell, bone, and clay, as well as one of the country’s best collections of prehistoric ceramics. The Heritage Park & Cultural Center, which includes the Indian Temple Mound Museum, also covers the history of pirates, the American Civil War, and early settlers.