Top Reasons to Stay at By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages
- This 18th-century inn is located in the Shenandoah Valley amid the Blue Ridge Mountains, just two hours outside of Washington, DC.
- Manor House suites feature elegant touches such as exposed-brick walls, gas-log fireplaces, and claw-foot or whirlpool tubs.
- With options 1 and 2, you’ll start your day each morning with a light continental breakfast.
- With the Luck of the Irish package in option 3, you'll get two Irish beers and silk rose petals covering your bed on arrival, a full gourmet breakfast delivered to your door each morning, a $25 dining credit to Corgans’ Publick House, an Irish pub located about 4 miles away, and a tasting at Old Hill Hard Cider.
Highlights of Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Picturesque setting: The town is nestled between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains in the Shenandoah Valley.
- Higher ed: The enrollment at local James Madison University has nearly doubled in the last 20 years, and it has built up its lovely campus.
- Life in Harrisonburg: Harrisonburg was recently designated a culinary district by the city council, and named "Best Beer Town 2013" by Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine, which both add to a long list of things to see and do in the area.
- Civil War history: Travel the Civil War trails in an area that saw many important struggles between Union and Confederate forces.
- The great outdoors: parks, arboretums, and golf courses
- Go underground: Take a guided tour at the nearby Grand Caverns, which have dazzled visitors with unique rock formations since the 19th century.