Bed and Breakfast at a Glance: Chestnut Ridge Country Inn
A former farmhouse, the Chestnut Ridge Country Inn was converted into a full-service bed and breakfast by its cheerful new owners, Larry and Paula, in 2006. The inn sits high up in West Virginia’s remote Pocahontas County, with captivating views of the Allegheny Mountains. There’s plenty of fly-fishing and hiking to be had in the countryside, and Snowshoe Mountain ski resort is just 30 minutes away.
- Period pieces: Luxurious guest rooms are decorated with furniture from past eras, and some rooms feature original furnishings.
- An included full breakfast, served daily, features fresh muffins and locally sourced coffee.
- Dinner is served with housemade soup and bread; available for purchase each night.
- Hit the trails: One of this Getaway’s options includes bike rentals for two, available for either day of stay.
- Forget your phone: The inn’s remote, mountainous location means cell phones won’t get service.
Pocahontas County, West Virginia: Former Logging Area with Mountain Trails and Bass Fishing
Located about 150 miles east of capital city Charleston, the tiny unincorporated community of Snowshoe in Pocahontas County is surrounded by the Allegheny Mountains. The Snowshoe Ski Resort offers visitors the chance to ski down these impressive mountains, a great way to take in the sights. The Greenbrier River Trail, a scenic biking route, passes over a series of wooden bridges near here, and its mountaintop fishing creeks are filled with bass and trout. Visit the Cass Railroad for the chance to visit the past aboard a steam-powered locomotive through the scenic mountains.