Hotel at a Glance: Chestnut Ridge Country Inn
A former farmhouse, the Chestnut Ridge Country Inn was converted into a full-service bed and breakfast by its cheerful new owners, Larry and Paula, in 2006. The inn sits high up in West Virginia's remote Pocahontas County, with captivating views of the Allegheny Mountains. There's plenty of fly-fishing and hiking to be had in the countryside, and Snowshoe Mountain ski resort is just 30 minutes away.
- Period pieces: Luxurious guest rooms are decorated with furniture from past eras, and some rooms feature original furnishings.
- Full breakfast, served daily, features fresh muffins and locally sourced coffee.
- Dinner is served every Saturday night.
- Campfire singalong: Cozy up at night or roast some marshmallows.
- Forget your phone: The inn's remote, mountainous location means cell phones won't get service.
Pocahontas County, West Virginia: Former Logging Area with Mountain Trails and Bass Fishing
Located about 150 miles east of capital city Charleston, the tiny unincorporated community of Snowshoe in Pocahontas County is surrounded by the Allegheny Mountains. The Greenbrier River Trail, a scenic biking route, passes over a series of wooden bridges near here, and its mountaintop fishing creeks are filled with bass and trout.
Trains weren't equipped to navigate Pocahontas County's mountain grades and curves until 1900, when the first locomotive train pulled into the area. The Cass Scenic Railroad State Park transports passengers on vintage Shay steam trains to visit restored logging camps and the birthplace of Thomas the Tank Engine.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.